How Does A Central Air Conditioner Compressor Work
Your Central Air Conditioner is like a refrigerator in your home. It’s funny because it almost has the same type of components. The most common is how the refrigerant changes from liquid to gas. It will take air from the inside of your home and release it outside. So the compressor is a very important part of this system. So how does a central air conditioning compressor work and how does it cool your home.
What is an Air Conditioner Compressor?
So what makes your compressor the heart of your system? Your compressor works the same way your heart does. The central air conditioning compressor pumps refrigerant through your AC system. The refrigerant is a fluid that sucks heat from inside your home and carries it outside. Keeping your system in shape is going to help prevent any issues that you will have. Always remember your filter is going to be your first line of defense.
How Does Your Central Air Conditioner Work?
- The compressor will pump refrigerant from your outside unit to the indoor unit. At this point, the refrigerant is cold.it will start collecting heat and as it gets hot it turns into a vapor. At some point, it will not be able to grab any more heat. It will not travel back toward your compressor. Remember it is pulling that heat back with it.
- The refrigerant comes back to the outdoor unit. The Compressor brings in the refrigerant and heats it until its a superheated gas.
- At this point, the refrigerant has lost most of its heat. So it goes right back outside to start this process over again until it reaches the temperature set on your Nest Thermostat.
The Air conditioner is made up of three important parts. Your evaporator, condenser, and compressor.
How To Keep Your Central Air Conditioning Compress In Good Shape.
Keeping your outdoor unit clean will be a big help. We see a lot of trees and shrubs that cover your unit can cause major problems with the system. Do not ever buy a decorative cover for your ac. The unit is designed in a certain way. Every piece of the system is an intricate part to run a certain way. If you do something that covers too much. It will suffocate your system. This will help you look for air conditioner compressor problems.
Watch for low refrigerant. If your system is low on refrigerant the compressor will work harder to push enough refrigerant through the system to cool down your house.
What Are Sign Of Low Refrigerant In My Central Air Conditioner
- Higher electric bills monthly
- The icing on your coils
- Bubbling or hissing noised from your lines
- The ac will run constantly and not cool your home
How Much Does It Cost to Replace an AC Compressor?
The AC compressor failure is fairly common when it comes to a whole system failure. Since the air conditioning compressor is crucial to the function of your AC system, generally the cost of replacement can get high. When it fails you will notice an increase in warm air.
Can I replace the air conditioning compressor or do I need a new one?
This is a tough question. The biggest factor to determine if you should buy one is how old is your system.
You will want to clean your system yearly outside. Pull your covers off and spray the dirt and bugs off on the condenser fins.
If you have questions about an air conditioner compressor or you need service for your air conditioner or need one installed, call No Problem Heating and Cooling Your St. Charles, Mo Heating, and Cooling Company.
If you feel like you have ideas to help someone out please comment below.